.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Frist's Filibuster

Apparently, Senator Bob Smith (R-NH) led a filibuster, which Frist joined, against 9th Circuiit judicial nominees. To quote from a Smith press release regarding a filibuster that Frist joined:
Paez and Berzon are activist judges. I think they are out of the mainstream of American thought and I don't think either one should be on the court. . . . We have a solemn obligation to make sure our courts are filled only with judges who uphold and abide by the transcendent ideals explicitly stated in our Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

Although I cannot verify this, apparently Senator Smith said the following on the floor:
But don't pontificate on the floor of the Senate and tell me that somehow I am violating the Constitution of the United States of America by blocking a judge or filibustering a judge that I don't think deserves to be on the circuit court because I am going to continue to do it at every opportunity I believe a judge should not be on that court. That is my responsibility. That is my advise and consent role, and I intend to exercise it. I don't appreciate being told that somehow I am violating the Constitution of the United States. I swore to uphold that Constitution, and I am doing it now by standing up and saying what I am saying.

For another survey of filibuster use, the Senate Democrats have put together a nice history of Republican support for filibusters.

Finally, here is a useful fact sheet about filibusters.

In support of "Nuclear Option," I've heard:
  • that the lack of judges on the bench create a crisis and backlog. I suggest President Bush nominate a different set of ten judges to ease the crisis and backlog.
  • that the filibuster is unconstitutional because it goes beyond the "advice and consent" role of the Constitution. Perhaps it's only constitututional when it is used to prevent leftist judges.
  • people defend Frist's suggestion that it is an attack on Christians. To that, I say phooey. I am a Christian, and I do not see how requiring bipartisan consent of judges shows disrespect for me as a Christian.

Frist should get over himself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home