.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Monday, November 07, 2005

Neither Cow nor Punk

Or, at least that's what we thought about the Surreal McCoys, before we finally saw them on Friday night. While we listened to a pretty bad cover band, thinking that they were the Surreal McCoys, we were thinking geeky legal thoughts: false advertising, material misrepresentation, etc. Finally, they came on stage (you can read about the intermediate details on Brooke's blog; she has a pretty good account of the evening).

I have to say, I really did enjoy the Surreal McCoys. I totally dug their "schtick", as Brooke put it. I loved the washboard, which was hanging around the neck and in front of the belly of one of the singer/musicians. Does that mean he has "washboard abs"?

I loved the music. Unlike Brooke, I think they were incredibly talented. Perhaps they weren't the most musically skilled, but it does take a whole lotta hutzpah and stage talent to entertain as well as they did. The lyrics were great, the energy was infectious, and they buried the crappy cover band that preceded them. And they were, indeed, "cow punk." But maybe I have lower standards when it comes to live bands. She is, after all, an experienced concert-goer.

I especially liked their sense of humor. The title of the show was, "One Stop World Tour".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home